Stakeholder Collaboration Key to Curbing the Harmful Use of Alcohol
AB InBev and GlobeScan release report highlighting crowd-sourced outcomes of online Well-Being and Responsibility Forum
BRUSSELS, 17 DECEMBER 2013 – Anheuser-Busch InBev (Euronext: ABI) (NYSE: BUD) and stakeholder research firm GlobeScan today published a report (download here) detailing the outcomes of its Well-Being and Responsibility Forum, the first-ever online conversation on the harmful use of alcohol convened by a global brewer. As part of AB InBev’s Better World corporate social responsibility strategy, the Forum brought together experts and stakeholders from the public, private and non-profit sectors to engage in an open, honest dialogue on underage-drinking, drink-driving and excessive-drinking prevention. The Forum builds on AB InBev’s long tradition of promoting dialogue, awareness and action around responsible drinking.
“As the leading global brewer, we are committed to promoting responsible enjoyment of our products, and we recognize that delivering on this commitment cannot be achieved alone,” said Carlos Brito, CEO of Anheuser-Busch InBev. “Through the Forum, we were able to better engage with local stakeholders and experts around the world and hear their insightful ideas to drive sustainable change in our collective approach to curb the harmful use of alcohol.”
Chris Coulter, GlobeScan CEO, commented: “Anheuser-Busch InBev’s Well-Being and Responsibility Forum is a powerful example of how to make collective progress on challenging issues. Not only was the Forum a valuable source of diverse insights and ideas from knowledgeable stakeholders, but it also was a demonstration of AB InBev’s collaborative, open and engaging leadership.”
GlobeScan moderators led conversations on four topics: Well-Being and Responsibility; Underage Drinking Prevention; Drink-Driving Prevention; and Excessive-Drinking Prevention. The report outlines specific actions and outcomes from the conversation. Key takeaways include:
- Responsible drinking as part of well-being: Participants emphasized the importance of putting responsible drinking in context of an overall strategy of individual and collective well-being.
- Collaboration: Participants emphasized the cross-cutting nature of key issues related to responsible drinking, and highlighted the need for collaborative approaches that draw in stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
- Social Norms: Across all discussion topics, social norms were repeatedly deemed an important factor that must be taken into consideration in any conversation or action plan to drive positive behavior and combat the challenges related to the harmful use of alcohol.
- Parental Involvement: From modeling responsible drinking behaviors to leading a healthy lifestyle, participants identified parental involvement as a crucial factor in not only preventing underage drinking, drink driving and excessive drinking, but also in promoting responsible behavior more broadly.
- Education: Formal education on well-being and responsible drinking for young people in schools and universities is key to promoting responsible behavior.
- Positive vs. Negative Messaging: Positive communication and messages related to alcohol play just as important a role as communications highlighting the negative consequences of irresponsible alcohol use.
The Forum, which was designed and independently moderated by GlobeScan and took place on September 17, 2013, brought together about 240 participants from 15 countries, including 25 expert guest contributors. More than 1,300 comments were posted.
The full Forum report is available to download at: http://www.globescan.com/component/edocman/?view=document&;id=92&Itemid=591
- 30 -
For Media Enquiries, Please Contact:
- James Morris, tel: +1 415 445 4657, email:
- Marianne Amssoms, tel: +1-212-573-9281 email:
- Karen Couck, tel: +32-16-27-69-65, email:
- Laura Vallis, tel: +1-212-573-9283, email:
About Anheuser-Busch InBev
Anheuser-Busch InBev is a publicly traded company (Euronext: ABI) based in Leuven, Belgium, with American Depositary Receipts on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: BUD). It is the leading global brewer, one of the world’s top five consumer products companies and recognized as first in the beverage industry on FORTUNE Magazine’s “World’s Most Admired” companies list. Beer, the original social network, has been bringing people together for thousands of years and our portfolio of well over 200 beer brands continues to forge strong connections with consumers. We invest the majority of our brand-building resources on our Focus Brands - those with the greatest growth potential such as global brands Budweiser®, Corona®, Stella Artois® and Beck’s®, alongside Leffe®, Hoegaarden®, Bud Light®, Skol®, Brahma®, Antarctica®, Quilmes®, Michelob Ultra®, Harbin®, Sedrin®, Klinskoye®, Sibirskaya Korona®, Chernigivske®, Hasseröder® and Jupiler®. Anheuser-Busch InBev’s dedication to heritage and quality originates from the Den Hoorn brewery in Leuven, Belgium dating back to 1366 and the pioneering spirit of the Anheuser & Co brewery, with origins in St. Louis, USA since 1852. Geographically diversified with a balanced exposure to developed and developing markets, Anheuser Busch InBev leverages the collective strengths of its approximately 150,000 employees based in 24 countries worldwide. In 2012, AB InBev realized 39.8 billion USD revenue. The company strives to be the Best Beer Company in a Better World. For more information, please visit: www.ab-inbev.com
About Better World
Through our commitment to be the Best Beer Company in a Better World, Anheuser-Busch InBev is the beer industry leader in social responsibility initiatives, ranking as the No. 1 alcohol beverage company on FORTUNE Magazine’s “World’s Most Admired” companies list. Our Better World efforts focus on three pillars: promoting responsible drinking; protecting the environment; and giving back to the communities in which we live and work. Around the world, we develop and implement social responsibility programs and campaigns in partnership with parents, government officials, community organizations, retailers and others. From promoting responsible drinking messages on some of the world’s most watched television programming, to turning coconut husks into renewable energy to fuel our breweries, to volunteering in the community, Anheuser-Busch InBev and its employees are committed to making a difference
. For more information about Anheuser-Busch InBev and Better World, please visit: www.ab-inbev.com
For twenty-five years, GlobeScan has helped clients measure, understand and build valuable relationships with their stakeholders, and to work collaboratively in delivering a sustainable and equitable future. Uniquely placed at the nexus of reputation, brand and sustainability, GlobeScan partners with clients to build trust, drive engagement and inspire innovation within, around and beyond their organizations. www.globescan.com