Large Companies and Governments Are Seen to Be Performing Poorly in Protecting Nature and Wildlife
Performance of Actors Protecting Nature and Wildlife, Net Performance,* Average of 27 Countries, 2020
In all 27 countries and territories surveyed, respondents rate “people like me” positively, with a net performance score of +34 on protecting nature and wildlife. Performance of the UN is also seen as being largely positive. In contrast, government and especially business have negative net rating scores.
- In Europe and North America, large companies are viewed particularly poorly.
- For Latin Americans, governments are rated as being among the worst performers.
- People in Africa and Asia and respondents under age 30 are generally more positive about all groups.
This research suggests that as the biodiversity crisis accelerates, there will be growing pressure on business and government to do more to protect nature and wildlife.
- Question wording: Please rate the performance of each of the following actors in protecting nature and wildlife: Our national government; The United Nations; Large companies; People like me.
- Data source: GlobeScan Radar 2020 (survey of 27,000 people in the general public in June 2020).