Learn from the perspectives of more than 125 participants from 17 countries who explored the future of work, the ways in which it is changing, and the obstacles and solutions in closing the skills gap. SDG 8 aims to promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
Together, we explored the future of work and what will be needed to support skills development for decent work and economic prosperity. In our globalized economy, technological advancement and competitiveness is empowering rapid evolution in work and production. The World Economic Forum urges business leaders and governments to take a proactive approach to developing the skills of their future workforces.
This report summarizes the discussions and identifies key challenges and priorities for action.
- Forum participants believe that decent work for all will be challenging to achieve if we do not address pressing social issues such as poverty, inequality, weak governance, youth unemployment, and human rights.
- Economic growth needs to be inclusive and job-led in order for it to lead to decent work.
- Rapid technological changes are driving structural shifts in the way we work.
- Lifelong learning will be an imperative for workers to remain competitive and productive.
- Addressing skills mismatches in labor markets will require a concerted effort and multi-stakeholder collaboration and dialogue.
“In our global economy, technological advancement is empowering rapid evolution in work and production. As a company rooted in scientific exploration and the belief that every problem has a solution, we apply scientific expertise to help solve some of the world’s biggest challenges. We are committed to advancing a global circular economy, innovating to decarbonize industry, and collaborating with others to create a more positive world.”
– Gayle Schueller, Chief Sustainability Officer, 3M
SDG Forum 8 Report
Read the full report to find out more about the discussion, the key challenges identified and possible solutions to close the skills gap.
About the GlobeScan SDG Leadership Series
The GlobeScan SDG Leadership Series is a set of seventeen online discussions and each Forum will focus on one Global Goal, connecting experts and opinion leaders to share ideas and actions for making progress on the Sustainable Development Goals.
Read reports on past SDG Leadership Forums:
- SDG Goal 3: Good Health and Well-Being
- SDG Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
- SDG Goal 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- SDG Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
- SDG Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- SDG Goal 14: Life Below Water
- SDG Goal 17: Partnerships for the Goals
Sign up to be notified of future Sustainable Development Goal Forums and join our panel of experts.