Learn from the perspectives of more than 80 participants from 18 countries who explored the role of businesses and other stakeholders in making progress on SDG 16, which aims to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
Together, we explored the potential for business and other societal actors to make SDG 16 a priority and collaborate for positive impact around transparency, institutional capacity building, effective policy support, and inclusive institutions.
This report summarises what we heard across the discussions and identifies key challenges and priorities for action. The report also shares results from several polls that participants were asked to answer during the Forum.
Our discussion among expert stakeholders from across the world identified numerous ways in which businesses can help to make progress on this SDG and move from a position of compliance to one of more active leadership:
- Internally embedding transparency and inclusivity into business operations and culture.
- Scaling up impact through industry-wide collaboration and engaging suppliers.
- Collaborating with governments to build institutional capacity.
- Empowering a strong civil society for more inclusive policymaking.
In moving from compliance toward proactive and vocal support of SDG 16, trust is a key enabler. Without this trust, businesses will struggle to find the credibility they need to contribute and collaborate effectively. Business can build trust by being transparent, open and honest, by holding themselves accountable, and through actively engaging with diverse stakeholders. As well as a requirement, trust is an outcome—progress on the areas highlighted will help to strengthen trust in business, in a global landscape where trust levels are often critically low.
“You only have to read some of the quotes from the participants in this exercise to recognise that SDG 16 is central to operating sustainable business in emerging economies.”
– Richard Morgan, Head of Government Relations, Anglo American
SDG 16 Forum Report
Read the full report to find out more about the discussion, the key challenges identified and possible solutions to unlocking the opportunities for business to promote just, peaceful, and inclusive societies.
About the GlobeScan SDG Leadership Series
The GlobeScan SDG Leadership Series is a set of seventeen online discussions and each Forum will focus on one Global Goal, connecting experts and opinion leaders to share ideas and actions for making progress on the Sustainable Development Goals.
Read reports on past SDG Leadership Forums:
- SDG Goal 3: Good Health and Well-Being
- SDG Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
- SDG Goal 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth
- SDG Goal 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- SDG Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
- SDG Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- SDG Goal 14: Life Below Water
- SDG Goal 17: Partnerships for the Goals
Sign up to be notified of future Sustainable Development Goal Forums and join our panel of experts.