SDG Goal 6 Leadership Forum hosted by
AB InBev / GlobeScan
Read the full report from our online discussion of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation.
Learn from the perspectives from more than 150 participants from 32 countries who explored how to ensure the availability and sustainable management of water for all. SDG 6 focuses on the need for improved water management practices and increased water efficiency in order to more effectively meet water demands globally.
What is Sustainable Development Goal 6?
SDG 6 aims to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
Together, we discussed examples of best practices and critical barriers to scale in improving water management and increasing watershed security. This report summarizes the discussion and identifies key challenges and priorities for action.
Experts identified three priorities for improving scalability and impact of initiatives:
- Capacity building and knowledge exchange
- Culture of collaboration and holistic thinking
- Public engagement
Effective water governance structures are essential in promoting and scaling water management and watershed security initiatives. Forum participants cite intergovernmental organizations and national governments as having played the most influential role in improving global water security and water management to date.
Experts suggest three central roles for strong water governance to play:
- Encouraging collaboration between multi-stakeholder groups and aligning investments
- Creating an enabling policy environment to help initiatives thrive
- Using transparency to balance economic, environmental, and social interests.
“The way we think about accountability sometimes drives well-meaning
institutions—public, private, non-profit—toward results that are specific by the original plan but not optimal for shared outcomes.”
– Andre Fourie, AB InBev
SDG 6 Forum Report
Read the full report to find out more about the discussion, the key challenges identified and possible solutions to improve efficiencies in water management.
Download the report
About the GlobeScan SDG Leadership Series
The GlobeScan SDG Leadership Series is a set of seventeen online discussions and each Forum will focus on one Global Goal, connecting experts and opinion leaders to share ideas and actions for making progress on the Sustainable Development Goals.
Read reports on past SDG Leadership Forums:
- SDG Goal 3: Good Health and Well-Being
- SDG Goal 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth
- SDG Goal 9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- SDG Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
- SDG Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
- SDG Goal 14: Life Below Water
- SDG Goal 17: Partnerships for the Goals
Sign up to be notified of future Sustainable Development Goal Forums and join our panel of experts.